Re: [nv-l] Bad Object

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Bad Object
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:37:10 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:37:49 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

When it dies, does it make a core file? That should be in /usr/OV/PD/cores/ somewhere, probably under ovw_binary, and then your userid. That core will help Spport figure out what is wrong, if no one here can guess. One thing to check is whether the ulimits are set correctly (to unlimited) for the userid you are running as.  On AIX it is 'ulimit -a' to list them. On Linux it is configured in /etc/security/limits.conf, so Solaris is probably somewhere around there.

Are you using an X-emulator, like eXceed? I know there used to be problems with the map crashing if the emulator had been installed but not tuned for performance.

And take a look in /usr/OV/log/netview_xxx.log where xxx is the userid you launched the map as. There ought to be something reported there when it dies.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

"Gill, Ronnie E CIV USA DOIM/SMB" <Ronnie.Gill@us.army.mil>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/03/2005 06:32 PM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Bad Object

List

Ronnie Gill

Network Operations

DOIM

Fort Carson, CO

719-526-1674

List,

I have several objects that I am trying to either move or delete that
are giving me some trouble.  The problem comes when I try to cut from
the current map or delete from the current map.  When I attempt either
action my map shuts down and I have to restart the map via the "netview"
command.  When the map comes back up everything seems to be working
fine.  I have searched the list archive and found some references to
"bad objects" and attempted to clean them up with the ovtopofix -a
command with no success.  Anyone have an idea or two as to what could be
the problem and what the possible fix is?  Thanks in advance for your
help.  My environment consists of the following:

Netview 7.1.4 FP3
Solaris 9
Switch Analyzer 1.2

Thanks