Re: [nv-l] ? about new trapd.conf for Unix w/ FP3 for Unix

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ? about new trapd.conf for Unix w/ FP3 for Unix
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:00:18 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:00:11 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Sigh.  You have no idea how hard we work trying to make what is written in
the Release Notes sufficient in themselves not to require additional
elaboration.
Sorry they are not.

(1) Linux is a flavor of UNIX (the only other option for NetView is
"Windows")
(2) Trapd.conf entries are positional, so no, updates are seldom made to
the end of the file.   The updates in this case are to existing entries.
(3)  The manual changes and the reasons for making them are given in the
Release Notes, right under the part about a new trapd.conf being shipped
with FP03.  In the one case we are adding missing quotation marks to an
Additional Actions command; in the other we are removing the ifList
(varbind 8) as something sent to TEC for various events.  So by inference,
if you don't make the changes outlined,  you won't be able to launch the
MIB browser in context from a trap (case 1) or  you may get an event over
in TEC that fails to parse because the ifList is too big (case 2).

HTH,

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Glen Warn"
             <Glen.Warn@pemcoc
             orp.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] ? about new trapd.conf for
             06/06/2005 12:49          Unix w/ FP3 for Unix
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

I am running 7.1.4 FP3 under RedHat Linux AS2.1.  The release notes
indicate there is a new trapd.log file for this FP, but I have yet to
update mine.  My questions are 1) Does "UNIX" include Linux installs? & 2)
Are all customizations to trapd.log written at the bottom of the file?
I've definitely modified mine and am not exactly sure about porting my
changes to the new file. 3) What will I be losing if I don't update mine?

Thanks in advance,
Glen Warn
PEMCO Corporation Computer Services (PCCS)
glen.warn@pemcocorp.com
206-628-5770