Re: [nv-l] Switch Analyzer - manage / unmanage individual port status po

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Switch Analyzer - manage / unmanage individual port status polling
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:14:39 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:15:27 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi Michael,
Sorry but I am now well confused. I have tried varying the poll_all_ports parameter in /usr/OV/ITSL2/conf/correlator.ini in collaboration with entries in /usr/OV/ITSL2/conf/files/l2_polling.cfg.

I started with the default line in l2_polling.cfg which has the "ports" parameter set to "A", which I understand to mean "poll all ports of this switch". Modifying "poll_all_ports" in correlator.ini from y to n seemed to have no effect. Either way, a discovery report always shows all ports that have anything connected (whether the device hung off a port is in NetView's L3 database or not). From what you had said, I has expected setting poll_all_ports=n to poll only devices that are NOT in the L3 database. It looks like the l2_polling.cfg file with the ports field set to "A" overrides the poll_all_ports parameter???

Changing the l2_polling.cfg "ports" parameter to "C", which I understand to mean "only poll ports that NetView L3 is MANAGING", resulted as expected. I have a port with a device hung off that NetView doesn't know about and disconnecting it never produced any L2 events in NetView. Disconnecting a L3 discovered AND managed device results in both L3 and L2 Node events. Unmanaging the end device in NetView and repeating the disconnection test did not produce any events. Remanage it, and you get both L3 and L2 events.

This is a switch on the same subnet as my NetView so there are no questions of Campus LAN confusions here.

I guess my remaining question is how to get monitoring of L2 unmanaged ports as you describe below, as my testing seems to show the l2_polling.cfg ports flag always overriding poll_all_ports=n.

Ny further guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jane

Michael Webb wrote:

Your comment on poll_all_ports happens to be opposite of the true meaning. I have grabbed some information from the troubleshooting guide and will place it here:

File: /usr/OV/ITSL2/conf/correlator.ini

      [PortStatus]
poll_all_ports=y

      [PortStatus]
poll_all_ports=n With this configuration (poll_all_ports=n), the PSM function only status polls switch ports that do not have connections to them, which are devices attached to switch ports as determined by IBM Tivoli Switch Analyzer. The Layer 2 Discovery Report, as well as the Physical View of a switch via the Web Console, will indicate which switch ports have connections. These particular connected ports will be the ports "not" actually monitored by PSM when the poll_all_ports value is set to n. For these connected ports not monitored by PSM in this scenario, the NetView Interface Down event will trigger the correlation engine as before and result in the root cause event being generated for these particular ports.

In general, when poll_all_ports is set to n, PSM will only manage (poll) switch ports that do not have connections to them, which include the following ports:

1. Switch ports in a redundant layer 2 path
2. Switch ports on switches that are in a remote campus
3. Switch ports where the connected device (downstream) to that port is unmanaged

Hopefully item #3 above addresses your question about unmanaged devices.

(Jane) Is there any way to look at a port (ideally in the physical view but any mechanism would do) and say "stop port monitoring on ports 1, 3 and 27", for example. Or," stop monitoring all ports whose names start fa*".

Answer: No. Not in this release. What you are referring to is what we call the Port Table, which was not implemented in this release.

Michael Webb, IBM Tivoli
Q1CA NetView / ITSA SVT
Email: mlwebb@us.ibm.com
Ext: (919) 224-1410, T/L: 687-1410
Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>

                        *Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>*
                        Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

                        06/29/2005 07:54 AM
                        Please respond to

cc

Subject

[nv-l] Switch Analyzer - manage / unmanage individual port status polling

Is it possible in ITSA to select specific ports on a switch to be status
polled? My understanding of poll_all_ports in correlator.ini is that if
you set it to no then it will only poll ports that have
NetView-discovered layer 3 devices attached, rather than polling all
ports?

What happens if those attached devices are unmanaged? Does the switch
port still get polled?

Is there any way to look at a port (ideally in the physical view but any
mechanism would do) and say "stop port monitoring on ports 1, 3 and 27",
for example. Or," stop monitoring all ports whose names start fa*".

Thanks,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2005 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>. All rights reserved.