Re: [nv-l] trapd.log_Maint on Linux

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapd.log_Maint on Linux
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:49:28 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:50:02 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Sorry but I do not.  You might try the AIX version and see whether that
works any better.  Since you didn't mention what the "other issues" are
that results when you substitute the commands, I'm not sure what else to
advise you to do to get it to work.
But I can advise you that Support knows nothing about this, as there are no
internal defects nor external APARs written about it, so that it may be
specific to some versions of Linux and not others.  Linux is a BSD
distribution, as is Solaris, and usually what is required on Solaris is
also required on Linux.  But with Linux vendors bringing out new versions
left and right, I can tell you that it is not unusual these days that they
would change something or break something which has been working just fine
on prior distributions.  The newer versions of  Suse 9.0 and RH AS 3.0 seem
particularly prone to breaking old function.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Jane Curry
             <jane.curry@skill
             s-1st.co.uk>                                               To
             Sent by:                  NetView mailing list
             owner-nv-l@lists.         <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/05/2005 04:48          [nv-l] trapd.log_Maint on Linux
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

NetView 7.1.4 FP3 on SuSE Linux.
Has anyone else found that the maintenance script for maintaining
trapd,log, /usr/OV/bin/trapd.log_Maint does not work on Linux??  I have
not found a direct hit for this on the Tivoli problems database but
there is a similar issue reported with Linux using lslpp commands ported
from Solaris.  It looks like the Linux versions use Solaris specific
versions of commands - notably nawk and print.  These don't exist on
Linux.  The problem database suggests a simple replacement of nawk with
awk and print with printf but this still gives issues.

Anyone got a cleaned up version?
Thanks,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565