RE: [nv-l] Inventory management through NetView

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Inventory management through NetView
From: usman.taokeer@s-iii.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:45:39 +0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:43:40 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Collin,
Thanks for the kind info, I'll try using the expressions you specified, one thing how do you that who is the culprit application? I mean NetView does not work on application layer how does it recognizes that the specific application is hogging the bandwidth?

Regds,
Usman Taokeer

"Colin Mulkerrins" <Colin.Mulkerrins@anpost.ie>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

15-07-05 03:16 PM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] Inventory management through NetView

Usman,

For bandwidth utilisation we use the expressions BandwidthUtilIn and BandwidthUtilOut to collect utilisation on routers.  Setting a threshold is also a neat feature of the collection we have found it very useful in catching applications flooding the lines - we set the threshold at 90% utilisation with an E-Mail alert and the re-arm at 80%  When the alert comes in we can catch the offending app 'red handed' its great fun showing the 'blame monkeys' that its actually their fault...:-)

I saw a discussion recently on nv-l which may provide more elegant solutions for management reporting... I will be looking into trying these solutions myself when I get time - they seem to provide a better solution to the one I am using now.

If I may be so bold I would recommend that you check out the solutions outlined in the discussions board (see links below) as a more permanent solution to your requirements.

 http://lists.skills-1st.co.uk/mharc/html/nv-l/2005-04/msg00124.html
and
http://www.nv-l.org/twiki/bin/view/Netview/NvAvail

I would be slow to share the scripts that I use here as they are unique to my site, I built them up from very basic alerting scripts into a quagmire of code calling code reading from logfiles generated by yet more code.  All in all not very portable.

I have included one PERL script that you may find useful (even as a starting point).  It reads from a output file from graphed data (snmpCollect), formats the timestamp and puts the min ave max in comma delimited format. (You will probably have to change the path to the output file)

**NOTE**  As I always say I take no responsibility for the performance of the script and I know that its ugly and probably inefficent - but I'm not paid to do pretty

Regs

Colin M.