Re: [nv-l] Discovery of Windows Server!

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Discovery of Windows Server!
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:01:04 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:10:11 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Are all your Windows servers in the same subnet?  I doubt it.

Automatic discovery requires that the boxes you want to discover have
entries in the ARP cache of those you have already discovered.  So the
reason that you aren't seeing all of the ones you expect is because those
you have found already have no reason to talk to the others, so they won't
have entries from them in their ARP cache.

When you restricted discovery to just Windows servers, you forced netmon to
use only them as a means of finding them all.  But that means that they all
have to talk to one another frequently.  You'll need to put some positive
seeds in your seed file, the hostnames or IP addresses of remote Windows
servers, which are not being discovered, so netmon will know to go find
them.  Otherwise you'll need to change this test to include finding some
backbone routers.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] Discovery of Windows Server!
             07/15/2005 11:36
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi all,
I'm trying to discover ONLY Windows servers in my Test
netview 7.1.3 box. Criteria is that i have turned on
auto -discovery. In oid_to_type file, i have as below:
1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1
1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1
1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.2
1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.3
1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.4

In Seed file, i have given as below:
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.2
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.3
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.3
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.*
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.2.3
@oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.*

Also i have set communitynames.conf with "123456". So
what i'm trying achieve is discover only windows
server with "123456" as comm. string. But what i'm
seeing is not all are being discovered. Only about 400
are discovered and i know i have more than 1500 in
prod.
Could someone help me here, that am i in right
direction and am missing something?
Many Thanks,
Larry