Re: [nv-l] I am attempting to install and understand NetView (v7.14)a

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] I am attempting to install and understand NetView (v7.14)and whilst I have successfull
From: "Robert Jensen" <JENSENR@stgeorge.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:25:11 +1000
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:50:19 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Thanks James ....

>>> jshanks@us.ibm.com 07/27/05 2:05 am >>>
Your problem with the "netmon-related application" disconnecting from trapd
may not be due to a trap storm.
Applications get forced off in this fashion when they don't process the
traps in their queues and they fill up.

If you enable servmon but don't configure /usr/OV/conf/servmon.conf to
discover any services, then servmon won't process any traps either and he
may the one getting disconnected.  If so, this is harmless and can be
ignored, but then you ought to consider whether you should waste the
resources of having sermon up with nothing to do.  You can just stop him
with ovstop, or de-register him with  "ovdelobj /usr/OV/lrf/sermon.lrf"  so
that he is no longer started.  If you decide you want to monitor services
later, you can edit servmon.conf and re-register him with  "ovaddobj
/usr/OV/lrf/sermon.lrf" .

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

***** IMPORTANT INFORMATION *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
addressed and its content is not intended for use by any other
persons. If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer. Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message
is strictly prohibited.

St George Bank Limited AFSL 240997, Advance Asset Management Limited
AFSL 240902, PACT Accountants Investment Group Pty Limited AFSL 240693,
St George Life Limited AFSL 240900, ASGARD Capital Management Limited
AFSL 240695 and Securitor Financial Group Limited AFSL 240687 is not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.