Re: [nv-l] Obj ID Source meaning

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Obj ID Source meaning
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:29:36 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:30:10 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I think you need to open a problem with Support.  There's a limit to what
advice you can get on the list.  You need someone to look at all the output
and the ruleset together.

But  generally speaking, whatever is in the varbind you specify has to get
turned into a NetView object id so we can determine whether it's a member
of your smartset. The smartset query is going to return a list of object
ids for the members.

NVCollCmpDnode(Attr: 2 contained in HEAD-OFFICE) Failed, no objid for attr
means that whatever was in varbind 2 could not be resolved into  an object
id in your NetView database.  Usually that means that you are running the
ruleset against a non-NetView trap.   Bad idea.  Only NetView traps have
the hostname in varbind 2.

Did you precede your smartset query with a Trap Settings or Event
Attributes first to pick out just the right traps?  If not, you are going
to waste a lot of time getting errors like this.  It will kill your
performance and probably back up all event processing eventually.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Mario Behring
             <mariobehring@yah
             oo.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Obj ID Source meaning
             08/16/2005 05:14
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

I am using 2 already....my ruleset query each event asking if the device
that generated it belongs to a particular Smartset...

I am asking this because of the following output at the nvcorrd.alog: