Re: [nv-l] NetView trap databases

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView trap databases
From: Swapna Prasad <swapna56782004@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:19:01 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:19:26 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hello James,

  Thank you very much for your reply.
     I need to know one more thing, on Windows it does not use RIM at all. How does the authentication/security to database handled?. Does the password info fed in when NetView is installed?
     When I installed NetView(latest) on Windows 2000 terminal I had SQL_SERVER 2000  already installed, but still it went ahead created Jet (MS Access) RDBMS. Is there any other configuration/requirements  I need to do before NetView can use SQL_Server on Windows.

Thanks
Swapna

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com> wrote:

NetView for Windows and NetView for UNIX are similar but different
products. This is one of the areas where the differences are major.
Frankly, you will have to develop one way to deal with the UNIX product and
another way to deal with the Windows product. Writing a single
cross-platform application is a difficult task, sometimes nearly impossible
given the differences.

NetView for UNIX has no RDBMS support by default. Events are transitory
and not kept permanently except in trapd.log To get them in an RDBMS, you
must install Tivoli RIM, which requires the Tivoli Framework, and then the
NetView Databases component. That means NetView must be installed under
the Framework as well. You run traptosql to transfer the trap data from
trapd.log to your RDBMS at regular intervals you define.

In NetView for Windows trapd writes events di! rectly to an event database
using ODBC, which is why logging is optional. trapd on Windows uses the
either the Jet (MS Access) RDBMS by default, but it can also use SQL
Server, if that is installed before NetView. Nothing else is supported.

Events stored in the ODBC database are queried by the Event Browser for
display to the user. This whole business is known internally as "the event
subsystem" or "tess". You can get an idea of the schema used by SQL Server
by examining the file \usr\ov\databases\odbc\tess_db.sql which is used to
create the tables. The same schema is used by the Jet database, which you
can examine with MS Access, either the stored events themselves in
tess_db.mdb, or the file tess_db.mdb_empty which we use to create the
running version.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Swapna Prasad
ahoo.com> To Sent by: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
owner-nv-l@lists. cc
us.ibm.com
Subject
[nv-l] NetView trap databases
08/16/2005 09:52
AM

Please respond to
nv-l

Hi All,

I am developing an application to access the event db used by
NetView across platform and databases(MS_SQL,DB2,Access...to name a few
supported by NetView).

Is there a document which gives me an idea of the tables, and details of
the columns etc of event db(Trap Db). The tables of trap in MS_ACCESS db
is not same as the trapdlog table mentioned in the NetView -database guide
for Unix

Is there APIs provided to access Event db(Trap db).

In the NetView -database guide for Unix doc it is mentioned about NetView
using RIM in which case I can use RIM commands, not sure whether it could
be true for Windows also.

Does NetView always access RDBMS using RIM.

If you have info can you please let me know. ! Thank you in advance.

Swapna