RE: [nv-l] NV714 - nvserverd error when trying to send events to TEC

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NV714 - nvserverd error when trying to send events to TEC
From: Mike Pearson <pearsom@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:17:19 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:18:14 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I found this in a Knowledge Entry:
================
Error " Call to tec_create_handle failed, tec_errno = 826 "
found in the /usr/OV/log/nvserverd.log. No traps are being transferred
from
NetView to TEC
===================
This error, found in the /usr/OV/log/nvserverd.log, is
generated when the nvserverd daemon can't write data to
the one of the event caches.

It may occur when the root ("/") filesystem is full,
making it impossible for the nvserverd daemon to write
data to either the /etc/Tivoli/tec/cache, or to the
/etc/Tivoli/tec/CACHE_sc/persist1.out  cache files.

To resolve this error, check for things that would keep
the nvserverd daemon from being able to create, or update
the cache files.

In
NetView V7.1.4, FixPack2 and later, nvserverd logging
is turned on by uncommenting the following line in the
/usr/OV/conf/tecint.conf.
# NvserverdTraceTecEvents
=YES

To make nvserverd aware of the changed tecint.conf, issue
the following commands:
/usr/OV/bin/nvtecia -stop
/usr/OV/bin/nvtecia -reload

1) Issue "df -k".  Are any of the filesystems 100% full, or
very close to being full, especially the filesystems which
contain the cache files ?

2) If on AIX,  issue "errpt -a" to view the AIX error report.
Look for problems near the time traps stopped transferring to
TEC.

3) What are the permissions for the two cache files ?
/etc/Tivoli/tec/cache
/etc/Tivoli/tec/CACHE_sc/persist1.out

If the BufEvtPath keyword is specified in the
/usr/OV/conf/tecint.conf and if it refers to a cache which
is different than the default,  check the permissions of
the specified file.

4) Is there data in these cache files now ?
What are the last altered dates on the files ?

5) Ensure that the
NetView daemons were started with the
/etc/netnmrc (AIX)  ( or /etc/init.d/netnmrc (Solaris, Linux))
script instead of using /usr/OV/bin/ovstart.

6) Run the following to check
NetView environment variables.
Delete /usr/OV/log/trapd.trace, if it exists
With trapd running, issue "trapd -T"
About 3 seconds later, reisssue "trapd -T"
Review the environment section at the top of the trapd.trace.

Regards,
Michael Pearson

Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT Support
Building 660, Office  CC105B;
HWY. 54 & 600 PARK OFFICES DR
Research Triangle Park, N.C. 27709
(919) 254-2270
pearsom@us.ibm.com

Need help with Tivoli Software Products?
Ask Tivoli!
http://www.tivoli.com/asktivoli

Mario Behring <mariobehring@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

08/17/2005 02:39 PM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] NV714 - nvserverd error when trying to send events to TEC

Hi Becki,

I am already using the IP address in the ServerLocation field....

Mario