[nv-l] Survey questions on MPLS

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] Survey questions on MPLS
From: James Markham <markhaja@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:25:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:25:10 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I am trying to gather information from current NetView customers that manage networks in which they have
MPLS routers deployed.

If you have a MPLS network that you currently manage, I would appreciate it if you could take a few minutes
to respond to my survey questions below.

Please email your responses directly to me at: markhaja@us.ibm.com

1 - Why do you use MPLS in your network, VPNs, VoIP, Traffic Engineering...?
1.a - What's important to you regarding MPLS?

2 - How many MPLS routers are in your network?
2.a - How many are edge (PE) versus core MPLS routers?
2.b - What brand of routers are they, Cisco, Juniper...?

3 - If you use MPLS VPNs:
3.a - How many VPNs are normally configured in the MPLS network?
3.b - Do you add/delete/modify VPNs frequently?
3.c - Do you use VPNs to support external customers? For example, your company is a service provider
         for other companies.
3.d - If you use VPNs to support external customers, (ISP), do you also manage the customer's network?

4 - What type of information do you gather today about your MPLS network/routers?
4.a - How frequently do you monitor/poll the MPLS information?
4.b - What type of information are you polling for?
4.c - What tools do you currently use to monitor the MPLS routers?

5 - What types of problems do you experience most often with MPLS?
5.a - How often do these problems occur?
5.b - How do you resolve these problems today?
5.c - What tools do you use?

6 - What types of problems cause you the most trouble?
6.a - How often do these problems occur?
6.b - How do you resolve these problems today?
6.c - What tools do you use?

7 - What type of information would help you the most in solving MPLS problems?

8 - What type of information/reports do you need to know about your MPLS network on a daily, weekly or
      monthly basis?

Jim Markham
Tivoli Systems
IBM Software Group