Re: [nv-l] ITSA and 6509

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ITSA and 6509
From: "Sandro P. Seminara" <spseminara@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:19:39 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:20:30 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Comments inline.  Regards Sandro Seminara

> NV 7.1.4 FP3, ITSA 1.3 with IY67325 on Windows 2003 Server.
> I have discovered several 6509 Cisco L3 switches. NetView has found
> separate boxes for the "router" personality and the "switch" personality
> of this box - this is as expected. However, the switch has several
> interfaces so it has the isRouter flag set and so it doesn't get
> discovered by ITSA as a switch. Any suggestions??

[For ITSA 1.3, there is no work-around for not being able to discover
devices having more than one interface.  The only option available
is to monitor the device via PSM by adding an entry to l2_polling.cfg.
PSM will discover and monitor the ports, but will not discover what
is connected to those ports.  This will only become available in the
next release of ITSA.]

> Also not sure whether these! 6509s support Community String Indexing
> (CSI)?? I have tried snmpwalk commands with a "-c " but
> not got any responses so I am guessing that they don't play at CSI??
> If anyone has any good examples of configuring for CSI, I would love a
> quick example.

[If you run snmpwalk -c publice@1 system <IP address> and the query
times out, then the device does not support CSI.
This is the current method ITSA uses to determine if a device supports
CSI. I'm not aware of a way to turn CSI support on or off.
From my experience, either a device supports it (based on model, catOS,
etc) or it doesn't.]

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk> wrote:
NV 7.1.4 FP3, ITSA 1.3 with IY67325 on Windows 2003 Server.
I have discovered several 6509 Cisco L3 switches. NetView has found
separate boxes for the "router" personality and the "switch" personality
of this box - this is as expected. However, the switch has several
interfaces so it has the isRouter flag set and so it doesn't get
discovered by ITSA as a switch. Any suggestions??

Also not sure whether these 6509s support Community String Indexing
(CSI)?? I have tried snmpwalk commands with a "-c " but
not got any responses so I am guessing that they don't play at CSI?? If
anyone has any good examples of configuring for CSI, I would love a quick
example.

Any help in this fog would be most appreciated.
Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0) 1628 782565
Coptright (c) 2004 Jane Curry jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk . All rights