Re: [nv-l] snmptrap --> in NV different hostnames

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] snmptrap --> in NV different hostnames
From: Paul Stroud <nvladmin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:58:07 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:58:36 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Another thing you may want to check is the /etc/resolv.conf
on both machines and make sure they match. For instance, one
may have a domain statement, while the other does not.

Paul

James Shanks wrote:

Because you said "snmptrap" and not "nvsnmptrap" I assume you have a
NetView for UNIX environment.
trapd on UNIX resolves hostname using the OS routines gethostbyaddr(),
which means that it is up to the OS to tell him the name.

You didn't mention whether both NetViews use DNS, but I would try nslookup
on the IP address, not the name, since that is how it gets resolved, by the
"reverse" of the hostname.  There is also an executable in  /usr/OV/bin,
nvgethost, which uses the same gethostbyname() and gethostbyname() routines
that trapd (and the other NetView daemons use) which can be used for the
same purpose, to check name resolution.  You should get the same result
using
     nvgethost <name>
as you do with
     nvgethost <IP address>

If you don't, then you have a badly configured DNS or /etc/hosts file

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Francis Boeykens <francis_boeykens @be.ibm.com> To Sent by: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com owner-nv-l@lists. cc us.ibm.com Subject [nv-l] snmptrap --> in NV different 12/14/2005 08:33 hostnames AM Please respond to nv-l

Hi list,

We have parallel environments.
In one environment, when receiving a trap, generated by snmptrap in that
environment, the fully qualif. hostname is shown in the trap info.  In the
other environment we see the short hostname.  As I want to standardise both
environments, I wonder where the diff. is coming from.

I already checked the hosts file and the "hostname" command on the sending
servers is giving in both cases the short hostname.

Somebody an idea ?

Vriendelijke Groeten, Cordialement,  Kind Regards,

Francis