RE: [nv-l] Nodes alternate between up and down

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Nodes alternate between up and down
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:21:04 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:21:24 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
A couple of questions:

Do these servers have some kind of virtual interface on them - such as a
Dell Remote Assistance card (which conveniently is shipped from Dell
with a fixed IP address present in all servers). That DELL RAS card
wreaks havoc with Netmon - although it is more of a reptitious discovery
problem than a node up / down.

Another example would be a dual homed (teamed adapter) server where
conecutive status polls actually hit different physical interfaces on
the server (and perhaps the fail over interface is normally in a down
status - perhaps with the same MAC address even? I've seen stranger
things.)

Does a ping to the interface while the interface is marked down cause
netmon to mark the interface up again?

Is there another SNMP manager pounding the SNMP process on the server to
the point where responses to NetView polling are impacted?

Is the behavior present on Unix devices, network devices or only
windows?

The server is plugged into the switch. Can you have a network person
verify that the switch port is not reflecting collisions and FCS errors?
If you for instance plug a solaris box into a cisco switch without
previous coordination you may or may not get auto inserted into the
switch properly (I'm not joking, even Cisco's own gear does not always
auto-negotiate with Cisco gear correctly).

Does a netmon dump of the snmp queue reflect any issues? (sorry been out
of netview long enough I don't recall the netmon -# flag for it.)

Hope these questions spur some thought in the right direction. All of
these questions come from first hand experience - I've been bitten
before on these.