RE: [nv-l] Logical Port Monitoring with NetView

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Logical Port Monitoring with NetView
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:24:37 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:27:03 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
The poor man's solution is an internal routine from the NetView library.

        #!/bin/ksh
        netcheck -o tcpPort=80 -t tcp $*

Use the MAN facility to read the documentation.  The example above
checks whether the web server is active on the device pointed to by the
parameter passed. Use the LDAP port for the equivalent.  The attached
file is a more extensive shell script which does the task using netcheck
and creates a trap if it fails. Run it from CRON.

My thanks again to the Tivoli NetView Support who pointed me to this
simple solution in the days before nvsniffer.

Bill Evans