[nv-l] ? about actionsvr reporting "incorrectly parented"

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] ? about actionsvr reporting "incorrectly parented"
From: "Glen Warn" <Glen.Warn@pemcocorp.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:27:12 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:28:07 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Hi,

I have NV 7.1.4 FP3 on RH Linux AS 2.1

I’ve recently started having some issues – mainly noticed because paging events aren’t being paged out (though I believe scope is probably much bigger)  Long story short, my fix right now is to stop/start Netview.  When I do the stop – I get this error msg:

WARNING: One or more processes are incorrectly parented.

UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD

root     23243     1  0 Mar14 ?        00:00:00 /usr/OV/bin/actionsvr

Stopping daemons...

kill -9 23243 actionsvr

I’ve recently had some issues where off hours work was being done the person in was powering the modem attached to Netview off to prevent waking the oncall person but I think the queuing of the events was possibly overloading nvpagerd or some other process because when the modem was turned back on it wasn’t able to send any pages.  I have this script that typically restores service – but it won’t work for a user if my X session is active (because I get pop ups that require intervention to proceed.)

/usr/OV/bin/ovstop nvcorrd

/usr/OV/bin/ovstop nvserverd

/usr/OV/bin/ovstop nvpagerd

/usr/OV/bin/ovstart nvcorrd

/usr/OV/bin/ovstart nvserverd

/usr/OV/bin/ovstart nvpagerd

/usr/OV/bin/ovstart actionsvr

/usr/OV/bin/ovstart snmpCollect

/etc/init.d/netnmrc

Outside of that, I’m not aware of any other major things changing.  Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this or how to avoid it?

Thanks,

Glen