Re: [nv-l] NV714 - Receiving traps

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NV714 - Receiving traps
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:04:25 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:04:52 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I'm not sure what exactly you mean.  If you followed all the steps  and
trapd started without giving you error messages in the trapd.log or the
nv.log, then it should be working.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting the netstat?
If you do
>netstat -an | grep 162
  TCP    0.0.0.0:162            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  UDP    0.0.0.0:162            *:*

This is what you should see.  TCP is a connection-oriented protocol so an
application open it's end and listens.  But UDP is connectionless and all
you'll see is that it's open.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             BGillett@symcor.c
             om
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc
                                       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com,
                                       owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             03/31/2006 12:05                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [nv-l] NV714 - Receiving traps

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Thx James,

Completed those steps, but now when I start up Netview - port 162 is not
listening at all.

Is there something else that I need to configure?

Brett

             James Shanks
             <jshanks@us.ibm.c
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] NV714 - Receiving traps
             31/03/2006 11:41
             AM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

You are using NetView for Windows?  The most likely the issue is the
Microsoft Trap Service.  It will only pass SNMPv1 traps to NetView.  My
guess is that your Sun N1 Manager is sending SNMPv2 traps and they are
being thrown away by the MS Trap Service.

In the 7.1.4 FixPack 3 and FixPack 4 Release Notes are step-by-step
instructions how to stop using the MS Trap Service and have trapd monitor
the TCP and UDP ports directly.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             BGillett@symcor.c
             om
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/31/2006 11:21          [nv-l] NV714 - Receiving traps
             AM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding Netview and receiving traps.  I am attempting
to integrate Sun N1 Manager into Netview using SNMP traps.  Sun N1 manager
monitors Sun hardware for problems and generates traps.  I have configured
it to forward events to our NV714 server, but they never seem to arrive -
nothing in the Event view, or when I view the trapd.log file.  I am able to
receive the traps on another host by running snmptrapd.

It seems that I am able to receive traps from all other applications except
this one...

Here's the netstat output

C:\WINDOWS>netstat -an | grep 162
  TCP    0.0.0.0:162            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  TCP    127.0.0.1:3150         127.0.0.1:3162         ESTABLISHED
  TCP    127.0.0.1:3162         127.0.0.1:3150         ESTABLISHED
  UDP    0.0.0.0:162            *:*

C:\WINDOWS>

The only thing that I can think of is that Netview is listening from traps
on a TCP port, and not? the UDP port?  Can I configure NV to listen on both
UDP/TCP ports?

Any suggestions?

Thx,

Brett