Re: [nv-l] Tivoli Netview 7.1.3 AIX and Solaris

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Tivoli Netview 7.1.3 AIX and Solaris
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:11:40 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:15:32 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Arvind,

It seams to me that it is doing what it is supposed to do.
ovactiond.log shows that the nvsniffer command is executed when your traps
are received. However it return an invalid status or an error message. You
need to double check what /usr/OV/bin/xrx_prnStatus.exe is doing when
executed. Why does it return a value '9' ? also I guess it call the ps
command with some invalid parameters (-- f).
Try running the nvsniffer command manually to see if you get the same
errors. I don't know if you wrote that xrx_prnStatus.exe yourself but if
that's the case you should be able to debug it.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services

             "Chaudhary,
             Arvind"
             <Arvind.Chaudhary                                          To
             @xerox.com>               <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.         <arvindch1979@yahoo.com>
             us.ibm.com                                            Subject
                                       [nv-l] Tivoli Netview 7.1.3 AIX and
                                       Solaris
             04/04/2006 11:22
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

I am developing a plugin on Tivoli Netview 7.1.3 for AIX and Solaris. The
purpose of the plugin is to show all the traps messages received from the
devices managed by the plugin in the Event Browser.
For this purpose I have made an application which should run when the traps
are received.
Entries have been made in the trapd.conf for these traps. The command in
the ?event modify? window of the traps contains the entries as:
/usr/OV/bin/nvsniffer ?c /usr/OV/conf/xyz.conf  -n $A ?t 1 ?T 30 ?m ?s
xyz.conf is the configuration file that contains the entry for my
application.
$A is the selection name of the device that sends a trap.

Now when I run this command from the console window, I am able to get the
traps reflected in the event browser. But this command does not executes
automatically for a trap, when set in the ?modify event? for a trap in the
?event configuration?.

The ovactiond.log contains some entries like:
03/28/06 05:57:28 AM Command /usr/OV/bin/nvsniffer -c
/usr/OV/conf/xrxsniffer.conf -n 13.205.105.98 -t 1 -T 30 -m -s returned
standard output data:
WARNING: launched task '/usr/OV/bin/xrx_prnStatus.exe' on node
'13.205.105.98' returned value (9) out of range; assuming FAILURE.
03/28/06 05:57:28 AM Command /usr/OV/bin/nvsniffer -c
/usr/OV/conf/xrxsniffer.conf -n 13.205.105.98 -t 1 -T 30 -m -s returned
standard error data:
ps: illegal option -- f
usage: ps [ -aceglnrSuUvwx ] [ -t term ] [ num ]
03/28/06 05:57:39 AM Command /usr/OV/bin/nvsniffer -c
/usr/OV/conf/xrxsniffer.conf -n 13.205.105.98 -t 1 -T 30 -m -s returned
standard output data:
WARNING: launched task '/usr/OV/bin/xrx_prnStatus.exe' on node
'13.205.105.98' returned value (9) out of range; assuming FAILURE.
03/28/06 05:57:39 AM Command /usr/OV/bin/nvsniffer -c
/usr/OV/conf/xrxsniffer.conf -n 13.205.105.98 -t 1 -T 30 -m -s returned
standard error data:
ps: illegal option -- f
usage: ps [ -aceglnrSuUvwx ] [ -t term ] [ num ]

Please help me on this.

Thanks & Regards
Arvind Chaudhary