Re: [nv-l] Flag smartset membership at TEC ???

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Flag smartset membership at TEC ???
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:28:27 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:26:35 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Hi to all my old NetView friends. I was thinking about where you could store information at NV and read it easily on the TEC server and a crazy idea hit me.

1) Install a DNS (which you should anyway in large networks) on your NV box
2) Create an extra domain for each one of your smartsets that you care about. You only need reverse lookup tables.
3) write a script that uses smartsetutil to get the list of members and creates a reverse lookup table for that domain (example .printers) The script should build this reverse lookup table on the fly...then bounce named to pick up the change.
4) then at the tec side you would have NV as your DNS and when you do a reverse name lookup on the IP address in your tec event you should get back multiple names (domains) which you could parse so see if the domain was a printer, switch, etc.

This would keep what you are doing exactly as before. This would be self-sustaining. You can choose how often you rebuild the reverse lookup tables. The name lookup at TEC would be quick. I have done something similar once...and parsed the output of the command through a 'grep' to quickly determine if this event was something of interest or not. It makes for a just a few lines of code. hostname lookup is much faster than the I/O of reading files from a script.

If you choose to do this, let me know how it works out.

Stephen Hochstetler shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678) FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com