Re: [NV-L] Loading & browsing MIBs

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Loading & browsing MIBs
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:35:39 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:38:00 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
I don't know what's going on, but I do know this.
(1) if you load a MIB with xnmloadmib then both /usr/OV/conf/snmpmib and
/usr/OV/mib/snmpmib.bin should get larger and they should show the very
same date/time stamp.  The loaded contents should then be visible with then
with xnmbrowser.

(2)  if you load a MIB with xnmloadmib2 then both /usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib
and /usr/OV/mib/snmpv2mib.bin should get larger and they should show the
very same date/time stamp.  The loaded contents should then be visible with
then with xnmbrowser2.

If you've made sure that you are using the proper browser for the proper
loader, then I'm not certain what other advice I can give you.  There is a
-compileOnly option on each of the loaders which should regenerate the
binary file from the exisiting text file, if you want to tray that, but I
would make copies of both files first.  Frankly, I've never had to use it.

Alternatively, you can build and rebuild the MIB databases as often as you
like.  Just rename the appropriate files in /usr/OV/conf and the loader
will create new database pairs.  Some folks maintain small databases of
various vendors for use with mib2trap and rename them when they want to add
to them.  Also, you can send your MIBs and MIB database files to Support
and have them look at them if you like.

Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

             Costas Vergakis
             <vergakis@yahoo.c
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com
             nv-l-bounces@list                                          cc
             s.ca.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [NV-L] Loading & browsing MIBs
             08/14/2006 07:22
             AM

             Please respond to
              Tivoli NetView
                Discussions
             <nv-l@lists.ca.ib
                  m.com>

Hi all,

i'm trying to load some mibs (rdbms-mib,
application-mib & the oracle mibs). The MIBs seem to
load OK since i don't get any messages during loading
and i see them in the list. But when i open the MIB
browser i don't see the oracle branch as i should. I
checked /usr/OV/conf/snmpmib file and the MIBs are
added. (The /usr/OV/conf/snmpmib.bin file seems
unchanged. Is this OK?) Is there anything else i
should do?

NetView 7.1.3 FP3@Solaris 7

Costas

internal IBM'ers only)