Re: [NV-L] Backup Interface Discovery Issue

To: larrytechie@yahoo.com, Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Backup Interface Discovery Issue
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:30:26 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:45:11 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
NetView 7.1.3  FP?? on what platform, Larry?

I don't see how anything could be discovered as MSGSMTP01B unless there is
some kind of DNS entry for  it.
Has something recently changed?  Some systems (AIX) cache the responses
from recent DNS requests whether you want them to or not, so that the old
one may be returned if it has recently changed.   But really I think the
way to get to the bottom of this is to issue

nslookup MSGSMTP01B   --  from what you say this should return nothing and
all these should be identical
nslookup 10.10.10.11           - - should return MSGSMTP01
nslookup MSGSMTP01    - - should return 10.10.10.10
nslookup 10.10.10.10       - - should return MSGSMTP01

Is that what you get or not?

Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

             Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com
             nv-l-bounces@list                                          cc
             s.ca.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [NV-L] Backup Interface Discovery
             08/24/2006 03:10          Issue
             PM

             Please respond to
             larrytechie@yahoo
               .com; Please
                respond to
              Tivoli NetView
                Discussions
             <nv-l@lists.ca.ib
                  m.com>

Hi guys,
I'm having issues with backup Ip address discovery in NetView 7.1.3. I have
auto discovery turned on. I have a wintel server MSGSMTP with two
interfaces. Primary & backup interface. We need to monitor only primary
interface. This has a right entry in DNS for both primary & backup NIC. But
Netview discovers both interfaces but somehow the hostname is assigning as
backup interface hostname.
example as below:
MSGSMTP01 - Primary - IP- 10.10.10.10
MSGSMTP01B - Backup NIC - 10.10.10.11

Netview discovers as MPSMGT01B - has both Ip addresses(primary & backup). I
deleted and still discovers as same.Netview should discover as is in DNS
name with primary interface as MSGSMTP01. Am i right?
Hope my question is clear.
Please help me..
Larry

internal IBM'ers only)