Re: [NV-L] Map Permissions

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Map Permissions
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:47:54 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:49:34 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Should work fine so far as I can see.  hat's what hotbackup was for --
synchronizing the backup server w/o taking the primary down.

Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

             mikemillion2000@c
             omcast.net
             nv-l-bounces@list         Tivoli NetView Discussions
             s.ca.ibm.com              <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
                                                                        cc

             09/07/2006 01:40                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [NV-L] Map Permissions

             Please respond to
              Tivoli NetView
                Discussions
             <nv-l@lists.ca.ib
                  m.com>

James-

Thanx for the info, it came in Handy..

Now for my next question.. I want to create a backup 7.1.3 server in my
environment.  Can I install 7.1.3 on my backup server, restore the backup
using nvhotbackup which I currently do twice a day for the primary 7.1.3
server, then do a reset_ci for the new server?

Thanx.

mikemillion
 From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>

 > So what you want to do is keep everyone other than root from getting the

 > default map in read-write mode?
 > There are several ways to do that.
 > You can alter map permissions with the ovwperms command.
 > Or you can implement the netviewd daemon, which is usually just used
 with
 > the web client. Then he'll get the read-write map and everyone else will

 > get read-only. When root want the read-write map he issues "netview
 > -dconsole" to take it away from netviewd.
 > You could also create a script for your other users which forces them to

 > open the map read-only "netview -ro"
 >
 > James Shanks
 > Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
 > Network Availability Management
 > ! Network Management - Development
 > Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
 >

 > mikemillion2000@c
 > omcast.net
 > Sent by: To
 > nv-l-bounces@list Tivoli NetView Discussions
 > s.ca.ibm.com
 > cc
 >
 > 09/04/2006 12:59 Subject
 > PM [NV-L] Map Permissions
 >

 > Please respond to
 > Tivoli NetView
 > Discussions
 > > m.com>
 >

 > Is there a specific way to give read-write permision to the default map
 > the root user only, and give read-only permissions to users that will
 just
 > be viewing the map, as a way to inhibit changes to the overall
 > configuration?
 >
 > Thanx.

 > NV-L mailing list
 > NV-L@lists.ca.ibm.com