Re: [NV-L] Nodes get deleted from NetView

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Nodes get deleted from NetView
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:20:32 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:25:47 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Sounds to me like you have already tried troubleshooting this. How did you determine that nodes would disappear if they were (1) ICMP ping polled and (2) down for more than 24 hours? Did you set up a test node to prove that?

Are you sure it's gone? You cannot find it on the map with "Locate" and you cannot find it in the output of ovobjprint?

As always it is netmon which would delete the node, just as it is netmon which would discover it. It is netmon which uses the Node Down Delete Interval. So your only option I can see is to run the full netmon trace, which you will then have to manage on a daily basis to keep it from filling up your file system. There is a script to that automatically, /usr/OV/cron/netmon.trace_ Maint but you have to create a cron job to run it. You could just run it manually from your desk every morning, too, if you are a methodical sort of person.

Then when one of your nodes goes away unexpectedly, you can look for it's name or IP Address in the netmon trace and see what's going on. If you need help with the trace, then I'd call Support. The trace was designed for someone who has access to the code and knows how netmon works internally.

Good luck,

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Anvaj Aliyarukutty" <Anvaj.Aliyarukutty@ustri.com>"Anvaj Aliyarukutty" <Anvaj.Aliyarukutty@ustri.com>

          "Anvaj Aliyarukutty" <Anvaj.Aliyarukutty@ustri.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          10/14/2006 03:31 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Nodes get deleted from NetView

NetView 7.1.4 -fp04 on AIX 5.2

I am facing a strange problem of disappearing the devices from the map
which uses ICMP polling if the device is not available for more than 24
hours.  I have checked the snmp configuration GUI for "Node down Delete
interval" parameter and which is having the default value (7days).
Request your suggestions on troubleshooting this issue?

Best regards,
Anvaj

GIF image