Re: [NV-L] Mapping varbind 2 for TEC messes up hostname

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Mapping varbind 2 for TEC messes up hostname
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:41:38 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:44:47 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

No I have not seen it, but I don't see how it could be unique to 7.1.5

If you are using NetView's enterprise id as the enterprise in your trap, then you must conform to NetView's trap rules, which require the hostname in varbind 2.  When trapd sees the NetView OID, he copies the contents of varbind 2 into the hostname.  You can put whatever you want into varbind3, the message, and all subsequent varbinds, but varbind 2 is reserved.  Also, we expect varbind 1 to be an integer denoting the sender,  which is how we get the source character right for snmpCollect and other sources, but I think it defaults to demo or netmon-related if we don't recognize what's there.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

11/10/2006 03:00 AM
Please respond to
Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc
Subject
[NV-L] Mapping varbind 2 for TEC messes up hostname

NetView 7.1.5 (yes, I finally got it - thanks James!), on Solaris 10.
TEC 3.9 FP3.

I am forwarding a NetView TRAP that I have created (1101 in the
netview6000 enterprise) to TEC.  It has my own TEC class (ITS_TEC_LA).
The TRAP has 2 varbinds - 1 is a message, 2 is an instance number.

I am mapping $V1 to the msg slot and $V2 to the instance slot in my TEC
class.  Also mapping NVHOSTNAME as $NV_IPADDR.

In both the NetView event log and when arriving at TEC the hostname is
now replaced with my instance number (almost).  So if instance is 2 then
the hostname shows as 0.0.0.2.

Anyone else seen this before I call it in??

Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2006 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights reserved.