Re: [NV-L] Missing collector data?

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Missing collector data?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:07:54 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:19:04 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

What's probably happening is that during peak periods, snmpCollect is not successful in getting through to your devices in a timely manner. When his requests time-out, he defers collection of that data from that device for a period of time. The standard default deferral period is huge, 60 minutes by default, unless you have changed that.

So there are three things to do. First reconfigure the daemon using serversetup and lower the period that he defers collection on down nodes from whatever it is to something less than your polling period. The idea is that the daemon should not wait past the next polling cycle. The second thing you should do is turn on verbose tracing so that you can see in the snmpCol.trace what happens when data seems to be lost. And the third thing is to get and apply FixPack4. If you don't have it, then the snmpcollect daemon you have is not doing any retries. He's trying once to poll your devices for data and he quits after the first failure. With FixPack4, he will try again.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for <sixxl@cse.com.sg><sixxl@cse.com.sg>

          <sixxl@cse.com.sg>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          11/14/2006 01:10 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

<nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Missing collector data?

Hi there,

I've recently reinstalled netview 7.1.4 for windows and encountered a
strange problem.
I'm using the snmp collector to gather link utilization from various
network equipment, but somehow the data seems to be missing from 1215
hrs to 2115 hrs daily.

I've tried manual polling of these devices and they report back the
correct data.

Could anyone give me pointers on what else I could look out for?
Btw the only configuration I brought over is the netmon.seed.

Best regards,
Sixx

GIF image