Re: [NV-L] Objects turning red after awhile even when up?

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Objects turning red after awhile even when up?
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:02:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:16:51 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

You issue is probably because netmon is trying to monitor the status of this object using snmp instead of ping. If it doesn't answer to snmp, it will still show down, even if it respond to ping.
The way this is configured is usually with the "$" in the netmon seed file.
You can test if this is the problem with the quicktest command: it will do a status polling using the same method as netmon.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Technology Services

Inactive hide details for <sixxl@cse.com.sg><sixxl@cse.com.sg>

          <sixxl@cse.com.sg>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          01/04/2007 10:25 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

<nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Objects turning red after awhile even when up?

Hi there,

I'm a new netview administrator and facing an issue. We've got a netview
is a default installation with a configured netmon.seed, netview
discovers all objects and all device status are reflected properly when
down. On the user PC objects sometimes it would turn red signifying down
status. Verfication of the physical PC is up and netview doing test ping
would turn the object to green. After leaving the object for awhile it
would turn red again, even though the PC is up.

Please advice on what steps should I take to resolve this issue.
The netview is 7.1.4 FP4 running on a windows 2003 server and console is
using remote desktop to monitor the netview.

Best regards,
Sixx

GIF image