Re: [NV-L] CLI to determine whether or not IP address known ???

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] CLI to determine whether or not IP address known ???
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:11:05 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:20:00 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

NetView has no such tool. Perhaps someone else has already written one and will respond.

ovobjprint takes selection names as an argument, because it is ov-object-print and the objects in the database are known by their selection names. IP addresses are part of the TopM Interface list, which is an object property. We have no tools to search objects by properties.

Dumping the database seems easy enough to me, and you could write a script to search it with your IP addresses. Or you could use nvdbformat to write a report which lists just the interface list for each selection name if that would help. You could also dump the topology database with ovtopodump -lrv and search that if you would prefer.

But to search without dumping would require that you write your own application using the OVwDb API routines, such as OVwDbGetFieldVlaue, discussed in the Windows Programmer's Guide.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for Michael D Schleif <mds@helices.org>Michael D Schleif <mds@helices.org>

          Michael D Schleif <mds@helices.org>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          04/12/2007 11:12 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] CLI to determine whether or not IP address known ???

    M$ Windows Server 2003; SP1
   NV v7.1.4; FP04

Given a list of IP addresses, is there a CLI to determine whether or not
each address is already know to Netview, and already in the object
database?

ovobjprint appears to accept ONLY Selection Names.

Yes, I can dump the entire object DB, and query against the dump; but, I
would rather query by each individual address.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
877.596.8237
-
-
we think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .
--

GIF image