Re: [NV-L] SNMP Traps

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] SNMP Traps
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:58:53 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:02:32 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

How would anyone know whether this foreign application, radius, is sending traps on 5162 or not?

The process would be the same for any third party software. You have to investigate how it works. I would suggest you consult the radius documentation and see whether you can force it to send something, or look at a device log on that server, assuming there is one, and see whether it has sent anything. If you can force a trap to be sent, then you could always start an iptrace on AIX beforehand and capture everything sent to 5162, then format it with ipreport to see whether it got there.

To tell whether trapd is listening on the correct port you can use snmptrap and send a trap of your own devising to 5162 and see what trapd does with it.

See the man pages on these commands.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "sudha g" <sudha.unix@gmail.com>"sudha g" <sudha.unix@gmail.com>

          "sudha g" <sudha.unix@gmail.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          06/19/2007 05:59 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] SNMP Traps

Hi,

I have configured trapd daemon in UDP port as 5162 and TCP port as 162.
I have loaded MIB's for my radius application and configured the snmp agent to send traps via port 5162.
I havn't received any traps so far. How to check that the radius server is sending SNMP traps?
How to check it is sending traps on port 5162.

Thanks & Regards,
NV-L mailing list
NV-L@lists.ca.ibm.com

GIF image