RE: [NV-L] Netview Recommendation Required!

To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Netview Recommendation Required!
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:42:23 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:10:40 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
The three variables which are most important to sizing NetView are the number of operators, the number of interfaces and the number of traps per second/minute.  The referenced Installation Guide GC32-1842-00 discusses this in detail in appendix A.  The book is available online.  The calculation of the number of interfaces is more important than the number of nodes.  X-Windows consoles consume more resources than Web Consoles.

A Very Large Network is characterized by:
  • more than 50000 interfaces
  • 10 to 20 web consoles and 3-4 X-windows operators
  • 1-5 traps per second with short bursts up to ten per second.
There are also considerations of SNMP data collection to add into the calculation along with external connections to TEC or other systems.

The recommendation for a Very Large Network on Linux is to use a FOUR PROCESSOR  system with THREE GHZ processors and a FOUR to SIX GB memory.

MLMs, one for every 3000 interfaces, would be a possibility and could move your main NetView back to the MEDIUM category (10000-25000 interfaces) where they recommend "two to four processors".  That would assume that most of the traps could be filtered out and the forwarded ones would be in the ten per MINUTE range and polling would be offloaded to the MLMs.  If your network is really "nation wide", MLMs should be placed at remote sites where practical.  They should be "local" to concentrations of monitored devices.

Alternatives for reducing the need are to slow down your network polling to less than five minute cycles and turning off the non-critical traps at the source.  For example, Authentication traps should probably be logged and not handled by traps to NetView unless there is a really critical security requirement.  If you can't control traps at the source you can also configure NetView to discard them at the first level daemon instead of investing resources in logging and processing them.

Good luck.  Count those interfaces and verify the number of traps expected then figure your system size.

Bill Evans.