[NV-L] AIX 5.3 / HACMP and netview

To: nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com
Subject: [NV-L] AIX 5.3 / HACMP and netview
From: Dietmar Gaulhofer <DIETMAR_GAULHOFER@at.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:39:04 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:05:46 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Hi,

*strange* but i think i have a problem with AIX 5.3 and HACMP somehow,
because i have never seen such a behavior before , and this is the only
different area which might cause my problems.

Have installed netview 7.1.5 with FP1. ( tried also 7.1.4 FP4 with the same
results)

Switched snmpd to v1

Installation and prereq checks are fine
First startup discovers all local subnets

But:

If i enter a single entry to the netmon.seed file and add it to the netmon
config  (also set discover to "All Backbone" ...)
netmon does not discover the device and even stops responding to any
request (manage,quicktest,demandpoll) - after removing the seed entry and
restarting netmon , the system runs fine with the local subnet only , and
as soon i add simple IP's to the netmon.seed file , netmon gives up
responding ....

The only idea i have is that this box is in an HACMP cluster , and has a
lot of interfaces , and the "hostname" of the AIX box itself is only an
alias in the hosts file , so the hostname , and the "netview
netview/manager object" in the database is not the same. I don't know if
this could cause my problems ....

Anyone else seen this ?

thx.

Dietmar