Re: RESOLVED: [NV-L] MIB Loading Error

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: RESOLVED: [NV-L] MIB Loading Error
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:22:40 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:26:09 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

I don't understand what you are asking. It is corrected. I sent it to you. You have the corrected copy. I corrected it and you can see my changes as marked by my initials, "jrs". So there is nothing left to do.

Are you asking why don't we ship it that way? We'd have to get permission from the authors to do that. We got permission to ship all those that are already shipped with NetView or else they were published on the web with no copyright statements in them. Even then IBM legal had to OK every one we shipped. When NetView was young, there was a special team in IBM, who were part of a cross-vendor organization called the NetView Association. They tested vendor MIBs and got the "bad" ones corrected, and either the vendors reissued them or we shipped them. But now, since NetView is in its last release, there is no point in adding any more MIBs.

Are you asking why don't we fix our compiler to recognize the syntax that is flagged as an error? Well, basically the syntax I corrected is abbreviated. You know what it means and I know what it means but our compiler doesn't. Take a look at this example
-- ::= { enterprises 5528 100 1 } jrs
::= { netBotzV2 1 }

Our compiler recognizes the last definition and that's the most common way to specify an OID in a MIB, with a label of the parent object and a number. Our compiler will also recognize the full specification, like this

-- ::= { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) private(4) enterprises(1) netBotz(5528) netBotxV2(100) 1 }

but it doesn't know what to do with three unidentified numbers following one label. And frankly, I don't think it's worth the effort to try to change that. The syntax used in this MIB is just sloppy. So our compiler flags it as an error for humans to fix, much like any C/C++ compiler would when confronted with sloppy syntax.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Senthil Kumar Mani" <Senthil.Mani@ustri.com>"Senthil Kumar Mani" <Senthil.Mani@ustri.com>

          "Senthil Kumar Mani" <Senthil.Mani@ustri.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          09/24/2007 02:50 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

RESOLVED: [NV-L] MIB Loading Error

Hi James,

Really thank you very much for the timely help☺.

I got the MIB you sent and this works perfectly ok with Tivoli NetView till now.

In fact, I went through the NV-L archives for the solution when issue popped up and, thank God I observed that there was a discussion based on the same MIB issue. I understood there is a corrected version of MIB for NetView but since I could not find a copy, I posted this once again for requesting the same.

James, do we have any option in Tivoli Netview where we could compile and get this MIB error corrected for NetView?

Cheers
Senny