[NV-L] Problems with NV WebClient "Find Function" in 7.1.5 FP01

To: nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com
Subject: [NV-L] Problems with NV WebClient "Find Function" in 7.1.5 FP01
From: netview@VRNetze.de
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:04:12 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:06:01 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Hello ,

we have approximately 500 web-users accessing their NetView Locations (appx
250)  with the NetView WebClient.
On our NetView Cluster (7.1.5 FP01) are 14.000 active nodes (routers and
switches).

Using the NetView WebClient "Find Function" it is possible to kill all
web-sessions in our environment:
simply search for " * "  or for  " S* " (which means find all switches).

1.) Lost Connection to Webserver for all WebClients
2.) gray Map for users logging in after find action
3.) ovw_binary and  java processes are catching one CPU (Sun V440, 4 CPUs,
16GB Ram)

Restarting the Webserver and closing the map after this action brings the
CPU load down again.
But after restarting the map again  (/usr/OV/bin/netview -dconsole&)
netview finds "unparented" java processes and restarts all daemons
including netmon.

Does anybody know a solution for this problem?
We have not found a possibility to deactivate the find function nor to
limit the search patterns.

A further problem concerning the "Find function":
Our web-users have a limited access to their locations. This works fine
with the scoping functionality of the "WebSecurity Console".
However in the "Find Window" they can find devices on which they have no
access. Accordingly they can see the Layer3 Status of these objects.

Thank you for help!

Kind regards

Markus Bittner
Network Management