[NV-L] netviewd

To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: [NV-L] netviewd
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:29:25 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:30:25 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
James,
Thanks for your quick reply. There are no cores or FFDC files because
this was self inflicted!
I am using the ITSO nvmon script to monitor, restart and notify me of
NetView daemon issues.
I recently modified the script that touches a flag file which toggles
this monitoring off and on.
We have been doing some very major network reconfigurations lately which
have the potential of generating tens of thousands of SNMP Traps and
bringing netmon and trapd to their virtual knees. I added stopping of
two daemons to the script that stops automation.  The two daemons I stop
are netmon and actionsvr, which would prevent the detection of outages
and custom processing of traps during these maintenance windows. I did
not realize that actionsvr was a prereq for netviewd until more closely
examining the output of nvstat which listed the daemons and prereqs.

Is there a good reason that actionsvr is a prereq of netviewd?  Can I
remove it as a prereq from netviewd.lrf?
Or, should I just restart all stopped daemons when I return NetView back
to normal conditions after the maintenance is complete?

Best regards,
Don Davis