Re: [NV-L] I can't make netview stop pinging......

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] I can't make netview stop pinging......
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:33:15 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:34:30 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Hi Sean,

the exclusion in the seed will only prevent netview from discovering theses addresses. If it is already discovered it will continue to ping it. You need to either delete or unmanage the objects that you don't want to monitor.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Technology Services

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Inactive hide details for "Sean Lawrence" <Sean.Lawrence@cantire.com>"Sean Lawrence" <Sean.Lawrence@cantire.com>

          "Sean Lawrence" <Sean.Lawrence@cantire.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          11/21/2007 10:54 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] I can't make netview stop pinging......

I have been contacted by our firewall folks. Our development netview server is pinging a vendors network trying to do a discovery.

I have added the subnet 192.168.*.1-100 to the netmon.seed file using the Limit by IP Address -> Exclude panel.

I have configured the netmon daemon setup option “Range of automatic discovery” to “Local Subnet Only”.

Netview’s address is 42.108.20.183 so should it now only be discovering 42.108.*.* addresses?

Netview is still pinging 192.168.*.* every couple of minutes. It looks like it is trying a range of addresses in the same pattern every time.

192.168.90.3
192.168.10.3
192.168.70.3
192.168.254.1
192.168.30.3
Etc

What else do I need to disable? I assume this has come about because we have finally been given an smnp community name for a couple of our development Cisco routers to test monitoring our Cisco network. Would netview have picked up a 192.168.*.* address from the router tables from one of these devices and is now trying to discover that subnet?

I am not allowed to run NETVIEW again until I get this ship shape. L

GIF image