RE: [NV-L] Port monitoring using Netview

To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Port monitoring using Netview
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:40:10 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:43:03 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
The NetView command NETCHECK will allow you to roll your own monitor as
part of trap automation or a simple cron driven script.  I've used it to
monitor Port 80 on a web server and blast an all-points-bulletin through
a cell-phone network if it stopped serving.  NetView provided the
connectivity and an e-mail interface for Windows.  In Linux we use the
MAIL command.  Using NETCHECK is not as integrated as using servmon but
it's fast and this customer got paid a piece rate for the material that
was served (ads).  The VP wanted to know immediately if his revenue
stream stopped.

See the NetView help page or Admin Ref on NETCHECK for details.

Bill