Re: [NV-L] [NV] Exclude router interface

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] [NV] Exclude router interface
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:48:32 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:48:35 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
No you cannot exclude any interfaces on the router from discovery.  Once
netmon can query the router with SNMP he will see them all.

But I don't think I follow just  what your issue is here.   There are two
things which puzzle me.

First, netmon will not mark an interface on the router as critical unless
it is has both its oper(ational) status set to Up and its admin(istrative)
status set to Up.  If you have interfaces which are down and are supposed
to be down, then set the admin status for that interface on the router
itself to down and netmon will not show these as critical but as User 1.

Second, a  router with down interfaces while at least one is Up is not
critical but marginal.  A router is only down, or critical, when all of its
interfaces are down.  So perhaps the issue is with how you defined your
smartset.  Do
      nvUtil g <smartset_name>
and tell us what the rule is that you used.

Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp