RE: [NV-L] Sort an event by message field

To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Sort an event by message field
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:52:33 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 19:53:53 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Mabel,
I was intrigued by your post.  I have done some "interesting" things
with rulesets and I think I have a solution for you.  I tested this on
my system and it does work.

Modify your forwardall.rs -or- create a new ruleset and apply it to
specific users events display.

test.rs:

............/->TS->IA1->OR1->\
Event Stream-->TS->IA2------>Forward
............\->TS->IA3->OR2->/

TS=Trap Setting, configure your trap here (all three are the same trap)
IA1=Inline Action (row-1):echo $NV_ATTR2 | grep -E "Dilbert", Wait=1,
Equal To, Exit=0
IA2=Inline Action {row-2):echo $NV_ATTR2 | grep -E
"Dilbert|Larry|Moe|Curly", Wait=1, Not Equal To, Exit=0
IA3=Inline Action (row-3):echo $NV_ATTR2 | grep -E "Larry|Moe|Curly",
Wait=1, Equal To, Exit=0
OR1=Override (row-1):Status=*no override*, Severity=Minor
OR2=Override (row-2):Status=*no override*, Severity=Major

Event Stream passes to three identical Trap Settings.
Trap Settings passes to Three unique Inline Actions.
Inline Action in row 1 Looks for Dilbert in token-2 and passes it to
Override Sev=Minor, then to Forward
Inline Action in row 2 Looks for Dilbert, Larry, Moe, Curly in token-2
and blocks only these and passes everything else to Forward
Inline Action in row 3 Looks for Larry, Moe, Curly in token-2 and passes
it to Override Sev=Major, then to Forward

I tested this with the NetView 58916866 Interface Up trap.
My Main Events Display workspace displayed a GREEN test message every
time as expected.
My TEST events Display workspace displayed a WHITE test message when the
second token was Dilbert, an ORANGE test message when the second token
was Curly, and a GREEN test message when the second token was not
Dilbert, Larry, Moe or Curly.

I will email you the ruleset file separately.
Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Don Davis