Re: [NV-L] Wily Introscope SNMP Agent

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Wily Introscope SNMP Agent
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:55:02 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:57:23 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Wow.
Don, have you tried contacting CA? According to the RFC's all primary agents are required to provide MIB-II data. There's no penalty other than shame, of course, and disgruntled customers.

Let me know if you need help finding the specific reference and I will see what I can do. But that's a concept so fundamental to SNMP, you have to wonder how anyone could miss it.

James Shanks
Tivoli Network Availability Management Level Three
Network Availability Management
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
1-919-224-1642 | T/L 687-1642 | ITN 26871642
Inactive hide details for "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>"Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>

          "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          01/22/2009 11:32 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Wily Introscope SNMP Agent

Has anyone integrated CA's Wily Introscope SNMP agent with NetView or any other SNMP manager?
All snmp traps are sent with a single specific trap value of 5000 with one variable containing all possible messages.
It appears that it is left to the customer to write code that parses the message.

Also, the SNMP agent has to run on ports 161/162 as the primary agent on the management server.
It will not run as a subagent. Therefore, none of the standard MIB-2 data is available.

Am I missing something here?

Puzzled,
Don Davis

Call 1.888.FC DIRECT (1.888.323.4732) or visit us on the web at firstcitizens.com
today to take advantage of our great products and services.

This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use
of individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that if you have received
this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic
mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the
sender by return mail.

GIF image