Re: [NV-L] Automatic Population of SNMP Conf Table

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Automatic Population of SNMP Conf Table
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:03:45 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:02:14 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Stephanie,

I suggest you open a problem to Level 2 and discuss your procedure with them. They can help you find one that works in your environment. Our lab folks have the same requirement and they just stop netmon for awhile so that nobody gets paged out accidentally.

Is there some reason you cannot stop netmon when you change strings or that you cannot write a script to unmanage the devices with nvmaputil and then re-manage them again? You could break the job down into more manageable pieces by unmanaging a subset of devices, changing their strings, fixing up xnmsnmpconf to match, and then managing them again.

I'm not the netmon expert but I suspect that this behavior is influenced by several factors. I'm guessing that you are not clearing the in-memory cache in xnmsnmpconf before you start or that you have specified using the alternate community names file for polling and that the node still responds to the old one. For netmon, it is first hit and out.

James Shanks
Tivoli Network Availability Management Level Three
Network Availability Management
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
1-919-224-1642 | T/L 687-1642 | ITN 26871642
Inactive hide details for ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>

          ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          04/27/2009 10:06 AM
          Please respond to
          steph_cornish@yahoo.com; Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Automatic Population of SNMP Conf Table
All,
Does anyone know how to turn off NetView auto populating the SNMP configuration table?

Every 120 days we're required to change SNMP RO/RW on all devices under management.

While I push the new strings to devices, NetView will auto populate the "Specific Nodes" table in SNMP Conf with devices and it will apply the old SNMP string.

TIA,
Stephanie

GIF image