[NV-L] Re: Moving from OpenView to Netview

To: nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com
Subject: [NV-L] Re: Moving from OpenView to Netview
From: Pablo Cerezo Alonso <cerezoalonso@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 17:27:08 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 May 2010 16:28:24 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=VrxfRIkjymLLLGhOLnvBrlG+i6T5kbZMTuBooCizuCQ=; b=CGixu884pswT4oghE+AhI9EVO7wVPS5Su0xJkjbp9HcTpP5bfGbO8l1YS30G0bQI0x sqV047Sb0kZiYFaLdoUlHJPkLbHQucYv29p541uNWGWxo031mJ28XI+xw2B0ii5Kl1+Y 6588g5IuVqB/YHC1m/hngQTh8iXoAm9bgCNYA=
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Hello again List,

Firts of all I would like to thank James for having answered so quickly.

Having lost all the hope of getting a similar file to location.conf in OpenView, I started to make the location.conf by my own some days ago. Communications department provided me a list with several IP ranges concerning the network devices existing on our company. I chose only three different offices (locations) so my first attempt was easier.

I used the ‘Restart automatic map generation’ option from the Serversetup menu so that Netview draws the map corresponding to the new location.conf file I have made. The problem I have now is the following:

This is the location.conf I have made:

Spain 172 State

Lugo 172.17 City Spain

Lugo 172.22 City Spain

Lugo 172.29.62 City Spain

Almeria 172.29.126.120-121 City Spain

Alava 172.18 City Spain

Alava 172.21 City Spain

Alava 172.29.126.122 City Spain

Alava 172.29.126.124 City Spain

Alava 172.29.126.125 City Spain

And the map that has appeared seems like this:

Spain

è  172.29 (under this all devices whose IPs correspond to 172.29.X.X )

è  Alava

è  Almeria

è  Lugo

Alava

è  172.21

è  172.18

Lugo

è  172.22

è  172.17

Almería à NOTHING

Why Netview has not included the devices under the range 172.29 in their corresponding locations instead of drawing the icon of the 172.29? Is not allowed for devices located in different locations to share the two first octets?

I have tried other posibilities modifying the location.conf but the best I have achieved is to have under ONE location the 172.29 group with all the devices whose IPs started by 172.29 attached. In the rest of the locations no device starting by 172.29.

Could anybody help?

Pablo