Re: [NV-L] NV Web Console request to open a submap times out

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] NV Web Console request to open a submap times out
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:24:21 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:24:50 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Bill,

The last remaining web console guru  (not me) says:

Edit /usr/OV/www/bin/jetty.sh
change -Xmx64m to -Xmx1024m

James
_________________________________
James Shanks
Tivoli Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
1-919-224-1642  |  T/L 687-1642 |  ITN  26871642

  From:       "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>

  To:         "'nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

  Date:       12/15/2010 12:55 PM

  Sent by:    nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Environment
        NetView 7.1.5 on Suse Linux.
        Web Consoles on Windows 5.1 and Suse Linux 10 shared with native
console.

Message in popup
        The Submap Explorer lost connection to the NeView Console
        Exiting the Submap Explorer.

While drilling down into the map hierarchy, I get the popup message
whenever the number of objects on the new submap becomes significant.  This
happens whether I use the Windows or the Linux version of the Web Console.
It also happens whether I’m using the Web Console on the same machine as
the native Console on a Linux workstation or accessing the NetView server
from Windows.   Maps with 20 elements usually render OK (but the speed of
rendering is slow) while maps with 120 elements seem to always fail.  The
latest I timed out at three and a half minutes.

When one Web Console loses connection both seem to lose connections.
Initial rendering of a 36 element map after a failure takes about eighty
seconds.

This is a recent development – say the last three months.  I’m not sure if
it’s a problem with NetView surfacing or if it’s a sensitivity in NetView
which is exacerbated by network problems.  I have noticed over the same
time frame that the functioning of SNMP on our network has become quite
slow recently; command line demand polls show SNMP queries taking five
seconds or so to complete for each instance.

Is there a configuration setting related to this timeout?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Bill Evans
Senior Tivoli NetView Support Analyst
Energy Enterprise Solutions, LLC