3Com router seen as isComputer on ext. frame relay network

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: 3Com router seen as isComputer on ext. frame relay network
From: Hal Dorsman <DORSMANH@SPH.HBOCVAN.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:38:24 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Greetings,

I have a very strange one that has me stumped.  Perhaps someone can
point out what I am missing.

I have Netview V4R1 and Transcend 4.2 running on AIX 4.2.1.  I have
recently added a 3Com 112 Netbuilder Officeconnect to an external
frame relay network.  When I put the router on my internal network for
initial setup/configuration, Netview saw it just fine,  it came up as
isIPRouter, and all the device information came up correctly.  So far so
good.  Then I shut it down.  Went out to my remote site, renumbered it for
my external networks,  got IP working without any problems.  Came back
to the office, deleted the old node with the internal IP number, and pinged
the remote router.  It immediately came up in the frame network submap,
but with isIPRouter set to false.  Nothing I can do will get to to be seen as
a router.  Routing is fine, I can ping and traceroute to it, and from it back,
even through it.   I have a firewall in between, but permissions are fine, I
can see SNMP requests going out and being accepted.  I set up the
remote router with the proper community name and SNMP host info.  I
even stopped and restarted Netwiew,  did ovtopovix.  An snmpwalk
times out, as does the SNMP request in demand poll.  It is not a
performance issue, because nothing else is running on the frame circuit,
and I have done snmpwalk with increased retries and timeout
parameters with no change.  I also know that this is not timing because a
vendor has a Cisco router on another PVC on the same frame network
that Netview saw automatically without doing anything special, either in
the Cisco or in Netview.  I ran into this once before with a low end
Livingston on another frame circuit on the same network and I thought it
was the Livingston, never found a fix for it.  Now Transcend won't see a
3Com router, so I know it is not MIBs/compatibility.  So, it is not
performance (pings are immediate, the Cisco works on identical circuit),
not the firewall (passing SNMP fine), not IP routing (pings, traceroutes
normal), not the router setup  (Transcend/3Com compatibility and it
worked fine when internal).  Anybody see what I am missing?  Some
help here would be greatly appreciated,  this one is driving me nuts.

Hal Dorsman
Network Administrator
Saint Patrick Hospital
Missoula, Montana, USA