Re: 3Com router seen as isComputer on ext. frame relay network

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: 3Com router seen as isComputer on ext. frame relay network -Reply
From: Hal Dorsman <DORSMANH@SPH.HBOCVAN.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:16:50 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Thanks for the response, but I don't think that is a problem.  I am using
Checkpoint FW-1 and it is a session based system, which logs sessions
from the source node.  In other words, it will log an SNMP query coming
from my internal Netview station because that is the source of the
session, but not the response.  Inversely, if someone tries to telnet into
my internal database servers, it logs that because its source is external.
The firewall does not log responses from the Cisco either, but it works
just fine.

Again, thank you for the suggestion, but I am afraid I am still missing
something.  I do agree, that logically everything points to the firewall, that
seems like the only logical variable, but everything seems to be behaving
correctly there, and I have not done anything differently with the Cisco.
Additionally, if the firewall were rejecting anything from the outside, it
would be logging that.  I am not seeing any failure of a connection from
the failing router in my firewall.  Any other suggestions?

Hal

>>> Edward Ricci <edward_ricci@INS.COM> 06/01/98 10:38am >>>
Hal,
You said you can see the SNMP request going out and being accepted.
You do
not mention anything about seeing them coming back.  I believe
everything
is pointing at the firewall.  It sounds like it is letting the SNMP out but
stopping the replies.

At 08:38 AM 6/1/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I have a very strange one that has me stumped.  Perhaps someone can
>point out what I am missing.
>
>I have Netview V4R1 and Transcend 4.2 running on AIX 4.2.1.  I have
>recently added a 3Com 112 Netbuilder Officeconnect to an external
>frame relay network.  When I put the router on my internal network for
>initial setup/configuration, Netview saw it just fine,  it came up as
>isIPRouter, and all the device information came up correctly.  So far so
>good.  Then I shut it down.  Went out to my remote site, renumbered it
for
>my external networks,  got IP working without any problems.  Came
back