Re: Migrating NV database to SQL Server

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Migrating NV database to SQL Server
From: Ronivon Candido Costa <ronivon@LIVEWARE.COM.BR>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:02:22 -0300
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

> Ronivon.
> First there will be a small problem setting NetView V5.0 on AIX up to use
> MS SQL database through RIM, the scripts fail to correctly define tables in
> MS SQL database, basically you will not be able to get  it to work...
> Current plan is not to correct this in the near future.

Are you saying that is not possible to use SQL Server with Netview ?
That is, THERE IS NOT a workaround to that problem ?

> How important is it that you connect NetView V5.0 on AIX to a MS SQL
> database?
> Can you use Sybase or Oracle?

Yes, there is a possibility to use Oracle... but as a last option,
because the data from Netview database shall be ultimately on the SQL Server.
So, in this case, a copy/export/import operation may be necessary from Oracle to
SQL Server.

Which would be your suggestion to this situation ?

Regards,

Ronivon.

> >Hi,
> >
> > I have Netview 5 running on AIX 4, using the default Netview database.
> >Now we need to migrate the Netview database to MS SQL Server running on
> >Windows NT.
> > The Netview 5 still on the RISC/6000 with AIX 4.
> >
> >Question:  Will the current database and maps be lost?
> >           This kind of migration is seamless or will that bring
> >           some kind or trouble?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >Ronivon.
> >
> >--
>

> Tivoli Verification - RTP

Ronivon Candido Costa            LIVEWARE Tecnologia a Servico Ltda
ronivon@liveware.com.br          http://www.liveware.com.br
    Good books? Go http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/8277