Parsing Hostname in trapd.log to tecad_nv6k

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Parsing Hostname in trapd.log to tecad_nv6k
From: "Mull, John" <jmull@HERSHEYS.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 16:25:08 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
For those that are using the tecad_nv6k logfile adapter for Netview 6000
(AIX 4.1.2).  Has anyone been successful in editing
the .cds file for this adapter so the hostname value (NOT IP address)is
passed
to Tivoli.

Certain Generic SNMP Traps such as  {Link_Down, Link_Up, Warm_Start,
Cold_Start, etc...&  Specific SNMP Traps such as Link_Down_Cisco,
Reload_Cisco} do not pass the "hostname" slot values from the trapd.log
to the Tivoli event console. The hostname is on trapd.log and in the
event cards
of NV6K,  however the slot value in the Tivoli event comes in null.
However the Origin of the Hostname  (IP address is passed.)

These events gets passed over to our Trouble Ticket System - "Remedy"
after they meet certain ruleset actions or conditions.  The Hostname
is a value that is quite useful in problem determination.

My question is has anyone successfully parsed hostname from trapd.log on
NV6K to Tivoli?

Several Tivoli admins have offered other suggestions. (same question
posted on Tivoli List-Serv)

FETCH
   1:  IPADDR = $V3
MAP
    hostname = $V3

"This changed the event class to OV_IF_Down"... really strange.

Also, Our good friend Jane Curry from the UK.. Hi Jane.. Offered this
suggestion;
MAP
      hostname = $AGENT_ADDR ;
" this parsed the IP address into the hostname value... not quite what I
want.

Anyone having experience doing this process and would like to share any
helpful "tips" would be appreciated.   (I will send candy...)

John Mull
Hershey Foods Corporation
Information Technology & Integration
Enterprise Systems Management