I need to delete about 18,000 symbols

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: I need to delete about 18,000 symbols
From: Greg Redder <redder@YUMA.ACNS.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:47:36 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I'm running NetView 4.1 on AIX 4.2.1

It seemed neat at first that NetView could detect all 18,000  machines on
our campus, but our NetView machine doesn't really have the resources to
handle that large of a database.  We have about 18,000 pieces of equipment
on this campus, and about 20 routers we manage.  The seedfile has these
20 routers in it.

My dilemma is that I need to cut our object database down to the objects
I really care about - the 20 routers and their 120 interfaces plus
a scattering of "critical" servers - about 20.  I'm not sure what the
best way is to trim out 17,000+ items from the database.

My questions are:

If I start over, NetView will discover all of the routers in the
seedfile and all of the machines on each of the interfaces and I'm
back to the problem I have now.

Maybe I have an empty seedfile and add routers manually?  However,
if I add the routers I'm afraid that as soon as I manage the interface,
it will go out and discover all of the nodes on that network and populate
my database unneccessarily.

Ideally, I want the database to just contain the routers, their interfaces
and the network symbol associated with those interfaces, but none of the
machines in those networks.  It's all of the machines on our network that
is making the database so large and slowing everything down.

What is the easiest way to get to that ideal situation from where
I'm at?

Thank you --Greg Redder
Network Analyst
Colorado State University

Greg Redder                         Academic Computing & Networking Services
Colorado State University, ACNS     Phone:(970)491-7222  FAX:  (970)491-1958
601 S. Howes, Room 625              E-mail: redder@yuma.colostate.edu
Fort Collins, CO 80523              PGP Fprint:68CEE78C86AC452881B27249785FEE91