Réf. : Re: I need to delete about 18,000 symbols

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Réf. : Re: I need to delete about 18,000 symbols
From: Eric Filippi <efilippi@EURHONE.E-MAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:02:03 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
James,

I use a dummy range to stop discovery but I thought the dummy range to use
was something like this :
1.1.1.10-20
I first tried to use the one you suggest and I had the followig result :
Netmon discovered nodes in this range and all the other nodes.
Later on, I was told at a IBM training session that :
1.1.1.* : netmon would discover at least all the nodes in the range
1.1.1.10-12 : netmon would discover at most all the nodes in the range

What's the point ? I'm running Netview 4.1 on AIX 4.1.4.

regards,
Eric.

Eric Filippi (efilippi@eurhone.e-mail.com)
Euhone
IBM Global Service Ouest
Lyon
France

James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM on 15/06/98 22:04:04

Veuillez répondre à NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu

Pour :    NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu
cc :   (ccc : Eric FILIPPI/VAISE/EURHONE/FR)
Objet :   Re: I need to delete about 18,000 symbols

Does your seed file also have a dummy range entry to halt discovery,
something like this?
     1.1.1.*
I'll bet not .
The easiest thing to do is to define exactly the nodes you want in the seed
file, plus a dummy range like that to halt discovery, and then stop all the
daemon and delete your databases through SMIT.  There is no easy way to
delete 17,000 nodes (there's no easy way to delete 100 nodes).  When you
restart netmon he should discover just what's in your seed file an no more,
except for the connections and network symbols required to hold them.
You can read more about seed files in the dynatext books which come with
the product.  The install manual has some especially good stuff.
James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

redder@YUMA.ACNS.COLOSTATE.EDU on 06/15/98 12:47:36 PM
Please respond to NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU