NV on NT security

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NV on NT security
From: Jeremy Worrell <jw@UK.IBMMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:02:17 EDT
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
All,

After installing Netview 5.0a on NT 4.0, I noticed that the installation
drive has been shared as "netview". I also noticed that all the files
under <drive>:\usr have the NTFS permission "Everyone - Change".

I don't envisage any problem, with renaming the share to "netview$"
but this doesn't buy me much more security!
I have tried various methods to move the "netview" share lower down the
\usr\ov path, but to no avail. I have also tried to apply more rigid
NTFS permissions to the files under \usr\ov, but have had only limited
success.

Does anyone know just how secure I can make my instance of netview 5.0a
without losing any of it's functionality? Is there any documentation
on this?

Thanks,

Jeremy.

 Jeremy Worrell (CS), IBM UK Ltd.                Int. 7-449759
 NT Technical Platform Development      Ext. +44 (1438) 769759