Re: Optivity broadcast over WAN-links

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Optivity broadcast over WAN-links
From: David Easter <David_Easter@BAYNETWORKS.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:00:43 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Winfried,

  First off, the packets are multicast, not broadcast.  Secondly, these
packets should not be passed by a router.  The packets allow the NMMs and
switches on a network to trasmit topology information to each other.  Since
a router deliniates a subnet boundary, these flatnet hello packets should
stop at the router.  This information is used by the Autotopology(tm)
process found in Optivity NMS.  And as for your final questions, normally
we recommend placing a filer on the router to drop the destination address
of the multicast packet.

There's a great table outlining all this in the "Getting Started" manual
for Optivity NMS 8.1 on page 1-8 (Table 1-1).  You can find this manual at:

http://support.baynetworks.com/library/tpubs/nav/netman/enter.htm#OPTNM81

Hope this answers your questions.

-David J. Easter
Product Manager - Optivity NMS, Network Management Division
Bay Networks, Inc. - Where Information Flows.

-=-REgarding-=-