Nways Campus Manager distributed polling / data collection

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Nways Campus Manager distributed polling / data collection
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:23:45 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Jane, since no one has addressed this, I will take a stab. The MLM method you
mention is
the Router and Bridge Manager component. The java business is the newer
component, and
is the stated direction of the product. RABM is oriented more towards giving
you a graphical
indicator, in a separate topology, of the health of selected devices. It is
basically a
semi-pre-configured implementation of the APM for a wide variety of devices. I
for one have
given my input to the product owners that this sort of monitoring is important
to customers
who monitor their network on a walk-by-the-Netview-station basis. The java
business is
closely related to the new type of PSMs. Updates to this type of PSM can be
made available
easily whenever new levels of microcode come out for the devices, which is an
improvement
over the current situation, where you may have to wait months (and pay money)
for upgrades
to the Nways product to match the microcode levels. The down-side is that it is
a more
sophisticated tool, more resource intensive, and (being java) perhaps less
stable at the
moment. Having said that, let me say that I have managed to get RABM working
effectively,
but I have not played with the Java Performance Monitor outside of class. I
cannot comment
on the data COLLECTION capability of either method.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Campus Manager LAN, there appear to be 2 separate methods for
offloading polling and data collection - Java-enabled, distributed
intelligent agents or using MLMs.  Can anyone comment on the pros and
cons of either method?  Which gives me most "out-of-thr-box"?  What
management procedures do I need to put around them (eg. I assume if I
use MLM to gather data, I need to setup a cron job to ship the data to a
central station).

Any input gratefully received,
Jane
--